Peak to Peak 2014 – Summit of the UK to the summit of France by our own human power!
I enjoyed Peak to Peak 2013 so much (the first ever human-powered traverse from the summit of Mt Ruapehu to the summit of Mt Cook in New Zealand) that it inspired me to do two things:
1) Write a book about the trip – this is currently undergoing the last round of editing and will be published shortly.
2) Repeat the expedition, with a slight twist. This time, it won’t be in New Zealand, and it won’t be between two islands in the same country, but between the UK and France.
Peak to Peak 2014 will involve Alan Silva and I making the following journey:
– Climbing the finest alpine route in all of Scotland & the UK – the tower ridge of Ben Nevis (1,344 m elevation)
– Over 2000 km of road cycling through four countries (Scotland, England, France and Switzerland).
– a 30+km sea-kayak crossing of the English Channel
– Ending with a complete traverse of Mt Blanc – the tallest mountain in France and Western Europe (4,810 m elevation)
As with Peak to Peak 2013, we will be travelling with as little support as practically possible and on a shoe string budget, fitting the entire expedition into our annual leave constraints.
We will be starting our expedition on the 16 August and hopefully ending on September 10.
You can follow our progress in realtime from the comfort of your home on the GPS SPOT TRACKER. And if anyone would like to join us for an hour or two’s cycling along the way then we would love your company – you can easily track us down by following our position on the GPS SPOT TRACKER.
The map below shows our approximate route, and if anyone lives on the route or close to it, then please do shout out as we are very happy to have a place to stop by for cuppa or even a bed for the night if your hospitality permits.
Our expedition starts officially in the 15 August and will hopefully end by September 10.
We will be posting daily updates and also short video blogs so we hope you will enjoy following along.